Subject: Re: Total newbie wants to install BSD on G3 PDQ.
To: Rob Hamrick <rph@chaosnet.org>
From: Brian Durant <RoadTripDK@MyRealBox.Com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/28/2006 18:02:09
On Jun 28, 2006, at 17:23, Rob Hamrick wrote:

>>> I haven't been able to get Linux working on either my recently
>>> purchased G3 PDQ or my G5 single (PowerMac 9.1) - except for Fedora
>>> Core PPC 5 (no sound). I would have thought that the BSDs being more
>>
>> I've had good experiences with Ubuntu on PPC hardware.  You might
>> want
>> to give it a try.
>
> Yes.  I've also found that Debian/Ubuntu have good support for PPC
> hardware.  ...no experience with any G3 powerbooks though.
>
> I think NetBSD is a much more elegant system, but, if you're at an
> impasse with NetBSD, you may want to try either of those.  The
> installers are extremely newbie-friendly.  And you can use the Debian
> package manager at the same time as pkgsrc if you want.
>
> -Rob

Thanks for the advice. I am a huge fan of Debian and Ubuntu, but as I
posted earlier, I have only been able to get Fedora working on my G5
so far. (With Fedora, you are forced to dump the old and install the
new version every time a new version number is finished (i.e. 4, 5,
6) and I don't want to have to do that with my hardware problems from
distro to distro and version to version. I have no idea what could
crop up in a new version. That is why I thought I would try a BSD
flavor. Debian Sarge (3.1r2) has a serious problem with the SATA
driver blocking access to CD drive in installations from CD and Etch
beta 2 has an issue not being able to detect USB keyboards. Etch also
has bug that show up in the Ubuntu flavors with complaints about a
'module unknown not found', then it tries to mount /dev/sdb3 on /root
(which fails with a 'no such device'), then comes a "no such file or
directory' and then the system defaults into BusyBox and I get the
error "/bin/sh: can't access tty: job conrol turned off". This issue
also exists when I try to install on my daughter's IBM PC (which is
about as generic as you can get for Linux, seen from a hardware point
of view).

An install with the "desktop" or "live" CD version of (Xu), (Ku) or
(U)buntu Dapper reaches the GTK login screen and then freezes. This
may be related to similar behavior that I have seen with sound card
issues on the G5 in earlier versions of Ubuntu and Fedora Core 4.
Lastly, none of the above mentioned distros have sorted out the
thermal control issues on the G5 single, where the fans rev like a
jet engine. I'll refrain from expressing my opinion about releasing
new versions of a distro before they are fully sorted out.

Lastly and maybe most interesting, Darwin 602.2 (Jaguar) spins its
wheels, but never actually loads for an install (never get past the
Apple splash screen) and Darwin 801 (Tiger) puts out a huge amount of
error messages about packages not being found for installation, etc.
when I try to install it on my G5 single. Very frustrating, but again
thanks to all for advice. It seems to be a really good bunch of
people here :-)

Brian