Subject: Re: Total newbie wants to install BSD on G3 PDQ.
To: Timo Schoeler <timo.schoeler@riscworks.net>
From: Brian Durant <globetrotterdk@diplomatic-immunity.dk>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/26/2006 19:59:38
On Jun 26, 2006, at 17:24, Timo Schoeler wrote:

> thus Brian Durant spake:
>> On Jun 24, 2006, at 23:40, Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:
>>> I think you'd also install plain Darwin and use pkgsrc on top of
>>> it to
>>> install applications.
>> I downloaded Darwin 602.2 PPC as this seems to match closest to
>> Jaguar, where my G3 PDQ hits an OS roadblok, but despite the CD i
>> burned booting and the Apple logo showing up, the circle just
>> keeps spinning and never actually boots.
>> BTW, just wanted to mention how nice everyone on the list has been
>> treating me so far. I hope we aren't getting too OT for the list?
>> I'm just hoping that someone has some more ideas about getting BSD
>> installed on my PB.
>
> hi brian,
>
> i'm almost sure that the (most) recent Darwin does no longer
> support your PowerBook. e.g., for the Wallstreet machines 10.2.x
> was the last 'officially' supported OS (and the appropriate Darwin
> releases, of course).
>
> for Mac OS X you can circumvent this limitation with XPostFacto [0]
> -- maybe you can use this to boot Darwin?
>
> i run 10.3.9 on a Wallstreet using this software; i have to check
> the box that forces Tiger to use 'old' Mach (gfx) drivers, and it
> runs very well :)
>
> [0] -- http://eshop.macsales.com/OSXCenter/XPostFacto/
>
> HTH,

OK, sounds good. I'll give it a try. BTW, you posted earlier that I
should I should download netBSD pkgsrc. I don't know at this time how
Darwin works or how to compare that to NetBSD. Can I just follow the
instructions at:

http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/software/packages.html#binary

(?)

Cheers,