Subject: Re: Installing NetBSD on beige G3 (Was: Re: serial console beige G3 installation)
To: Miguel Mendez <mmendez@energyhq.be>
From: Chris Tribo <ctribo@dtcc.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/30/2006 09:24:49
On May 28, 2006, at 4:22 PM, Miguel Mendez wrote:

> The machine came with MacOS 9.1 in German. I've installed the System
> Tool and configured the OFW variables. The box has 1 9GB SCSI HD and 1
> ATAPI CD-ROM. The OFW version is 2.4

This means you have a revision 2 Beige G3.

> Attempting to boot ofwboot.xcf from CD has been impossible, so I've
> resorted to netbooting the machine from my Ultra60 which,
> coincidentally, is also running NetBSD.

It works fine for me, but you will need to make your own pure ISO
(not an ISO/HFS hybrid) Instructions here:

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-macppc/2005/11/18/0001.html

> The ofwboot correctly grabs the kernel from the NFS server but there's
> something about the installation that isn't clear yet. The
> installation
> docs mention that using disklabel and installing NetBSD doesn't leave
> you with a bootable system, and that you need to play around with
> pdisk. MacOS 9.1 is gone so all I have now is an unbootable NetBSD 3.0
> install.

That's only true for New World machines (systems with OpenFirmware 3
and later). On old world machines sysinst should do everything needed
to get you a bootable system.