Subject: Installing NetBSD on beige G3 (Was: Re: serial console beige G3
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Miguel Mendez <mmendez@energyhq.be>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/28/2006 22:22:15
On Thu, 4 May 2006 10:30:40 +0200
Wojciech Gałązka <wojciech.galazka@polkomtel.com.pl> wrote:

Hello,

Sorry for coming back to this thread a bit late. My G3 arrived last
Friday. I decided to look for an ADB keyboard + mouse and was lucky
enough to find one for EUR1 :) I also bought a DB15->HD15 adaptor.

The machine came with MacOS 9.1 in German. I've installed the System
Tool and configured the OFW variables. The box has 1 9GB SCSI HD and 1
ATAPI CD-ROM. The OFW version is 2.4

Attempting to boot ofwboot.xcf from CD has been impossible, so I've
resorted to netbooting the machine from my Ultra60 which,
coincidentally, is also running NetBSD.

The ofwboot correctly grabs the kernel from the NFS server but there's
something about the installation that isn't clear yet. The installation
docs mention that using disklabel and installing NetBSD doesn't leave
you with a bootable system, and that you need to play around with
pdisk. MacOS 9.1 is gone so all I have now is an unbootable NetBSD 3.0
install.

pdisk shows two partitions: A very small Apple partition map and the
rest that is taken by NetBSD. The big question is, how does one load
ofwboot.xcf and netbsd? The partitioning page shows the guy creating
several A/UX partitions where he stores his kernel and an HFS partition
where ofwboot.xcf is stored. So what the exact procedure would be?
Creating those partitions with pdisk and then launching sysinst to
perform a normal install? The whole pdisk thing seems a bit confusing.

Thanks in advance.
--
Miguel Mendez	<mmendez@energyhq.be>
http://www.energyhq.be