Subject: iNode issues
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: CVD Groups <groups@customvisualdesigns.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/30/2006 17:16:12
Hi all,

So, I'm a BSD/Unix/Command-line newbie.  A while back I put NetBSD 2 on
my powermac 8500.  Things were fun for a while, but then I started
getting inode issues when using pkgsrc.  I didn't know what inodes
were, so I finally hunkered down today and found out.

Turns out I goofed when installing NetBSD.  df reveals two partitions:
root on /dev/sda, and kernfs.  and on root, 99% of inodes have been
used up.  It went down to 97% after I removed a bunch of packages.  I'm
assuming that swap just isn't being listed here.

So, I figure I have two options: find a way to reformat/repartition the
hard drive and do something so that it has more inodes, or reinstall
NetBSD.  I'm fine with the former as there's nothing on the system now
anyway.  I'm not so cool with the latter.

Or... I could just start deleting stuff.  /usr/pkgsrc seems to be the
big winner in most amount of files, so I suppose I could delete that
and use pkg_add whenever I wanted something.  All I really want is
Gnustep, Netatalk, TightVNC, and a couple other things.  Aside from
experimentation, I can't think of much I'd use an old 8500 for.

Below is a list of the biggest folders.  Any advice or comments would
be welcome.

5.1M    /netbsd
2.9M    /rescue
3.5M    /etc/mtree