Subject: Installing on a Apple UFS image
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/09/2006 11:18:06
Hi all,

first of all, I have to say that this is not related to NetBSD/macppc but a=
it involves OS X and NetBSD, I thought it could be the best list to ask.

I'm trying to install NetBSD/i386 on a Apple UFS partition made inside a
disk image.  I want to do this to later boot it through qemu in OS X (on an
iBook G4) and to be able to mount the disk image from OS X to modify its
contents.  I feel this could be an excellent configuration for NetBSD
development.

To start, I rebuilt current as of yesterday adding 'options APPLE_UFS' to
the GENERIC and the INSTALL kernels.

Then I created a new disk image from qemu (well, Q) specifying a size of
512 MB and a raw type.  I booted the boot-big.fs image with this virtual di=
sk
and used fdisk to create a partition that takes the whole disk, setting its
type to 168 (Apple UFS).  So far so good.

Then, I shutted down NetBSD and did this in OS X:
    hdiutil attach -nomount disk.img
    newfs /dev/disk1s1
    hdiutil detach disk1

This theorically creates an Apple UFS file system inside the image using
the partition I created before.  In fact, doing 'hdiutil imageinfo disk.img=
'
sees the partition correctly as well as 'fdisk disk.img'.  (The latter does=
 not
get the correct disk geometry, though.)

With the file system created, I launched qemu again and, when trying to
mount the file system by doing 'mount /dev/wd0e /mnt', I constantly
get "incorrect superblock".

Just to ensure that I got things right, I tried to do the same exact thing =
but
creating a FAT file system instead of an UFS one.  And guess what,
I could mount it correctly in NetBSD after creating it from OS X.

Do you know if this is possible?  Any idea on what may be wrong?

Thanks,

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
The Julipedia - http://julipedia.blogspot.com/