Subject: Re: Powerbook G4 Performace
To: None <port-macppc@NetBSD.org>
From: Emmanuel Hainry <ehainry@free.fr>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/09/2006 10:57:58
--MGYHOYXEY6WxJCY8

On Wed, Mar 08, 2006 at 10:45:28PM -0500, David H. Gutteridge wrote:
> >As the subject aleady tells you, it's the performace i am not really
> >happy with. I am not sure if it's either the console driver or the
> >whole CPU support by the kernel, but somehow the system appears really
> >slow. Not only normal text is scrolling slow over the screen but also
> >extracting packages.
>=20
> When you refer to slow scrolling, you're referring to the console, rather=
 than
> an X session, I assume?  If so, that's just because OFB_ENABLE_CACHE wasn=
't
> enabled for your kernel.  See this entry in the FAQ for macppc:
>=20
> http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/macppc/faq.html#scroll-speed
>=20
> Regarding package extraction, are you saying that the I/O performance is =
worse
> or CPU time is longer than you expect?  (Or is this visually related to t=
he
> general console scrolling issue above?)
>=20
My powerbook is quite slow too: the proc does not run as the desired
speed: dmesg says

cpu0: 668.73 MHz, 512KB L2 cache

when the cpu should run twice as fast...

There were messages about this kind of things on this mailing-list
around last september, but my hardware does not seem to match with the
patch proposed...

Emmanuel

--MGYHOYXEY6WxJCY8

--MGYHOYXEY6WxJCY8--