Subject: Re: Booting a Powerbook G3 PDQ
To: None <edoneel@sdf.lonestar.org>
From: Chris Tribo <ctribo@dtcc.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/07/2006 08:40:03
The gray screen with the circle is the MacOS 9 driver boot loader for OS
X which means you dropped out of OpenFirmware, or you are really trying
to boot an OS X CDROM but specifying the wrong partition number.
Typically this happens if you really mess up the boot command, or you
are trying to boot a non-existent devalias. In this case it probably
means that the systemdisk/startup disk nvram patches that create ide0
and ide1 are not loaded. All I had to do was

setenv boot-device ide1/@0:0
setenv auto-boot? false
reset-all
boot ide1/@0:0,OFWBOOT.XCF;1

If you can't dir ide1/@0:0,\ then you're trying to boot a hybrid
HFS/ISO9660 CD that the oldworld open firmware won't understand. You can
grab my unofficial 2.1 ISO that does work here:

http://user.dtcc.edu/~ctribo/macppc_unofficial.iso