Subject: Bad performance of bmac (bm0) interface (Rev.1 b&w G3) with 100baseTX?
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Joachim Thiemann <joachim.thiemann@gmail.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/03/2006 09:52:48
Hello,

so I have my old Rev.1 b&w G3 working relatively nicely, thanks to
some tips from people here.  I have now set it up to be a dovecot mail
server, update dyndns, and act as an ftp, netatalk and samba server.

I now noticed some performance issues: from other Macs (PB G4) writing
to the server is absolutely abysmal in speed - using afp, smb, or ftp.
 We're talking in the order of 20kb/s.

While I originally suspected the problem being with the daemon
processes, I played with the bm0 media settings and noted that I get
much better performance when setting the interface down to 10baseT
(using ifconfig bm0 media 10baseT mediaopt full-duplex), in the order
of 200kb/s using ftp.

Has anyone else seen this type of problem?  Is it a buffer overrun
problem in the bmac driver? Any way I can get full performance using
100baseTX?

Thanks,
Joe.