Subject: Re: My PowerBook 3400c and NetBSD experience
To: None <symno@post.cz>
From: Riccardo Mottola <rollei@tiscalinet.it>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/28/2006 20:07:45
Hello,

> Problem(not solved):
> Console text scrolls very slow.
>
> Solution:
> Allegedly this solves enabling "L2 cache", the cpu's cache. The kernel option OFB_ENABLE_CACHE should be enabled (uncommented) in order to make the L2 cache available. I have compiled the GENERIC kernel with this option but this doesn't help on PB3400c. On a contrary system freezes with message "cpu: ohare L2 cache enable." while loading. "no active package found" message appears at the bottom of the screen. (probably OpenFirmware message). Some oddity is that even without the option enabled the message: "cpu0: ohare L2 cache enabled" appears at very beginning of loading not adjusted kernel, but without effect.

please udnerstand that the CPU cache and the framebuffer cache are very
different things. Although of course, L2 cache enabling makes everything
faster, so it may speed up the console too.

My solutionis just to run X, since the current default console is not
only slow, but limited in display features and has no virtual consoles
either. Also, depending on the firmware it may havei nconvenient
resolutions/screen refresh.

Regards,
  Riccardo