Subject: Re: Unrecognized keys
To: Timm Wetzel <twetzel@gwdg.de>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/27/2006 18:17:26
On 2/27/06, Timm Wetzel <twetzel@gwdg.de> wrote:
> Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84 <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I have a USB Apple keyboard attached to my PC running NetBSD/i386.
> > Unfortunately, XFree86 does not recognize any of F16, Volume Up,
> > Volume Down, Mute nor Eject keys.  I've determined this by running
> > 'xev' and touching those keys, which raises absolutely no events.
> >
> > As I see it, the problem is that X is not attaching any keycode to thos=
> > keys, but I do not know how to do this.  (Maybe all my problem is an
> > incorrectly configured keyboard...)
>
> No, it's probably not a (trivial) configuration problem. As far as I know=
 these
> extra keys are implemented via a separate USB interface/endpoint (which s=
hould
> show up as an additional uhid device).
>
> I suppose one needs an additional USB driver (or an extension to ukbd) to=
 make
> these keys available to wscons. Perhaps a userland solution is possible u=
sing
> usbhidaction(1)?

For what is worth wscons does detect those keys (F16 for sure; I do
not remember about the other ones now).  I wrote a little application
that reads from /dev/wskbd and shows incoming events, and it certainly
reacted to key presses on F16.  I even modified the ums(4) keymap to
generate F14, F15 and F16 keysyms when pressed (haven't commited
it), but this only works in the console :-(

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
The Julipedia - http://julipedia.blogspot.com/