Subject: Re: Unrecognized keys
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Timm Wetzel <twetzel@gwdg.de>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/27/2006 15:36:35
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I have a USB Apple keyboard attached to my PC running NetBSD/i386.
> Unfortunately, XFree86 does not recognize any of F16, Volume Up,
> Volume Down, Mute nor Eject keys.  I've determined this by running
> 'xev' and touching those keys, which raises absolutely no events.
>
> As I see it, the problem is that X is not attaching any keycode to those
> keys, but I do not know how to do this.  (Maybe all my problem is an
> incorrectly configured keyboard...)

No, it's probably not a (trivial) configuration problem. As far as I know these
extra keys are implemented via a separate USB interface/endpoint (which should
show up as an additional uhid device).

I suppose one needs an additional USB driver (or an extension to ukbd) to make
these keys available to wscons. Perhaps a userland solution is possible using
usbhidaction(1)?

Regards,
Timm