Subject: Re: Problems installing 3.0 on b&w G3
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Joachim Thiemann <joachim.thiemann@gmail.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/24/2006 16:46:06
Hello John and Rudi,

On 2/24/06, Rudi Ludwig <rudihl@gmx.de> wrote:
> The small details matter, this S0 RUFS, S1 SFS and S2 UFS. The partition
> labeld RUFS is what the kernel picks as the root directory.
> Should look similar to this:
>
> Partition map (with 512 byte blocks) on '/dev/rwd0c'
>  #:                type name     length   base     ( size )
>  1: Apple_partition_map Apple        63 @ 1
>  2:           Apple_HFS boot       4000 @ 64       (  2.0M)
>  3:     Apple_UNIX_SVR2 swap     614400 @ 4064     (300.0M) S1  SFS k0
> (swap)
>  4:     Apple_UNIX_SVR2 root     409600 @ 618464   (200.0M) S0 RUFS k0  /
>  5:     Apple_UNIX_SVR2 home    5033000 @ 1028064  (  2.4G) S2  UFS k0  /=
usr

Ok, I made sure I have that (except I have the additional partitions
due to using the OS X disk editor installing OS9 drivers).  Still no
luck.

> If that is okay. What does the kernel think the root fs-type is?

It doesn't get that far.  The kernel does all the hardware detection,
then the last thing I get is:

[...]
uhid1 at uhidev2 reportid 3: input=3D3, output=3D0, feature=3D0
boot device: <unknown>
root device: _
(cursor on last line)

following John's suggestion of removing and reattaching the USB
keyboard didn't work, unfortunately, and I tried an ADB keyboard as
well.

> I had a strange case were the kernel figured the root fs was msdos but
> was a correct ffs. fsck said okay. zeroing the first 4k of that
> partition (slide) before doing the newfs of the reinstall helped.

Hmm, that doesn't seem to be my issue, but I could try clearing the
first 4 k of the drive (heck, why not! :-)

> Did you format root ffs with v2? I have not followed the status of this
> but v1, seams the safe bet there.

No, I'm using plain FFSv1.

I'll follow John's suggestion of building a kernel with a "config
netbsd root at wd0a type ?" in the config file first - I assume that
is the correct syntax, John? I don't know if a "swap at wd0b" is
needed, I guess rc can take care of that...

I'll keep posting...

Joe.