Subject: Problems installing 3.0 on b&w G3
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Joachim Thiemann <joachim.thiemann@gmail.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/24/2006 11:02:22
Hello everyone, I've done lots of installs of NetBSD on Sparc, Amiga
and of course i386... this is my first try with macppc.

I'm using a b&w G3 (Rev. 1) with OF 3.1.1.

I'm having trouble getting 3.0 to install - no, rather, to boot the
installed NetBSD.  I've tried both single-disk with multiple
partitions (getting too familiar with pdisk), using the
Apple_UNIX_SVR2 partitions for root and swap in addition to an HFS
partition with ofwboot.xcf and nothing else, and the two-disk method
with the primary disk (master on primary IDE dedicated to NetBSD
(using disklabel and friends), slave on primary dedicated to OS X, but
also having ofwboot.xcf and a netbsd kernel).

In either case, if I use the generic kernel, it hangs at trying to
detect the root device (though the wd0 at atabus0 message comes up
ok), and I can't enter the root device either (the screen looks as
tough it's prompting as if I had booted with the -a flag).  There is
no response from the keyboard.

I'm thinking of trying 2.1 next - there is no feature in 3.0 that I
particularly need, but it would still be nice to be up-to-date.

Any ideas?  Is a custom kernel needed? (I can do a crossbuild on a
i386 3.0 box...)

Thanks,
Joe.