Subject: Re: trouble netbooting a G4
To: Chuck Silvers <chuq@chuq.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/21/2006 09:24:36
--9amGYk9869ThD9tj

On Sun, Feb 19, 2006 at 06:00:35PM -0800, Chuck Silvers wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 13, 2006 at 11:06:16AM -0800, Bill Studenmund wrote:
> > On Sun, Feb 12, 2006 at 10:34:34PM -0800, Chuck Silvers wrote:
> > >=20
>=20
> hrm, ok.  since no one else spoke up at all, I guess I'll go ahead and
> put it back the way it was and see if anyone squawks, since it fixes
> netbooting and doesn't seem to make anything worse for me.

Maybe circulate a modified version first? I'm thinking find a few folks w/=
=20
disk-boot OF3 systems and see what happens.

If no one volunteers quickly, just commit it. :-)

> > I think we need to better-design how we actually boot. We have had a pi=
le=20
> > of patches here and there, and recent changes have gone in different=20
> > directions that the original code went.
> >=20
> > I'm tempted to dive into the redesign in this note, but I'll not. :-)
>=20
> fair enough.  :-)
>=20
> for now, I'm going to go with the assumption that the "partition-zero"
> method is not supported for OFW 3 and later.  the install notes seem
> to hint at this, but it could be made clearer if that's really the case.

I thing partition-zero may still work, but we don't know how to make it
work.  Among other things, there are checksums on the drivers that go into
the "partition-zero" info that we don't fill in. That could be the=20
problem.

That said, not knowing how to make it work is effectively the same as it=20
not working.

Take care,

Bill

--9amGYk9869ThD9tj