Subject: Re: trouble netbooting a G4
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
From: Chuck Silvers <chuq@chuq.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/19/2006 18:00:35
On Mon, Feb 13, 2006 at 11:06:16AM -0800, Bill Studenmund wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 12, 2006 at 10:34:34PM -0800, Chuck Silvers wrote:
> >
> > I guess I'm proposing to back out the above change to ofwboot/boot.c,
> > can anyone tell me if that would break anything?
>
> It might. I'm not sure.

hrm, ok.  since no one else spoke up at all, I guess I'll go ahead and
put it back the way it was and see if anyone squawks, since it fixes
netbooting and doesn't seem to make anything worse for me.

> I think we need to better-design how we actually boot. We have had a pile
> of patches here and there, and recent changes have gone in different
> directions that the original code went.
>
> I'm tempted to dive into the redesign in this note, but I'll not. :-)

fair enough.  :-)

for now, I'm going to go with the assumption that the "partition-zero"
method is not supported for OFW 3 and later.  the install notes seem
to hint at this, but it could be made clearer if that's really the case.

-Chuck