Subject: can't get openfirmware prompt on g3/350
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Ross Harvey <ross@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/09/2006 20:30:20
I have a blue & white G3/350 Yosemite with 9.2.1 on the drive.

I would like to netboot -current but I can't get an open firmware
prompt.

If I tell it to boot into ofw via SystemDisk (input: "keyboard",
output: "screen") the LCD stays dark. It doesn't seem to be away
in a serial mode, tho, because if I type "mac-boot" (in the blind)
it then boots up into MacOS just fine.

It seems like Open Firmware just doesn't default to output to a
PCI expansion card on a box like this which has no on-board video,
not even if the card is original equipment, which I'm pretty sure
this one is.

I looked around for possible device paths and tried a couple:
	/bandit@F2000000/ATY,Rage128y@D
	/pci@80000000/ATY,Rage128y@10

If I knew how to make it switch to serial I suppose I could try
that. The box has a mini din-8 printer port and an RJ-11, but it
has an internal modem so I don't think the RJ-11 is serial.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

//