Subject: Re: Netbooting a G3 minitower
To: Mark Wagner <carnildo@gmail.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/09/2006 11:14:18
--cWoXeonUoKmBZSoM

On Mon, Jan 30, 2006 at 07:25:34PM -0800, Mark Wagner wrote:
> It doesn't work.
>=20
>=20
> Ok, I suppose I should provide a bit more detail than that.  I've
> recently acquired a secondhand beige G3, and I'm working on turning it
> into a fileserver/application server for my home network.  Right now,
> I'm trying to follow the netboot directions at
> http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/network/netboot/, and I've reached
> the step of setting up the BOOTP server.  I'm using an existing Linux
> box as the server for this.

tcpdump the transaction and see what happens.

The one thing I've had to do was to set a static arp entry on the boot=20
server. Without that, the system never boots; the tftp server needs the=20
client to answer an arp request, but it doesn't.

Older versions of bootp would automatically add the arp entry, but newer=20
ones (or other apps acting as bootp servers) don't.

Take care,

Bill

--cWoXeonUoKmBZSoM

--cWoXeonUoKmBZSoM--