Subject: install and auto-boot 3.0 on mac mini
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netmeister.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/14/2006 14:33:38
--nFreZHaLTZJo0R7j

Hi,

Since it took me a bit longer than usual and I had to piece together
advise from different postings, I thought I'd post my step by step
instructions of how I installed NetBSD 3.0 on a Mac Mini and got it to
auto-boot.  I'm sure there are other ways, but this is what worked for
me:

- hook up Mini via firewire to another mac
- power up, hold 't' to boot into 'disk target mode'
- on the other mac, use disk-utility to partition the mac mini
  - create two partitions, a small HFS+ partition 'boot' and a large
    partition for your NetBSD installation
- copy the file ofwboot.xcf from the NetBSD 3.0 macppc iso into the
  newly created 'boot' partition
- build a new kernel for your Mac Mini.  I just copied the GENERIC file,
  but made the following change:

  config          netbsd  root on wd0b type ? dumps on wd0e

  That is, root is on wd0b, not wd0a and swap is wd0e.  See below.
- copy the new kernel into the 'boot' partition of the mac mini
- unmount the firewire drives from the mac mini on the other mac
- reboot the mac mini, holding 'apple+option+o+f' to get into
  OpenFirmware
- put the NetBSD 3.0 macppc install CD into the mac mini
- type

  boot cd:,\ofwboot.xcf netbsd.macppc

- this should boot the CD and let you install.  I followed all defaults
  and therefor ended up with the main partition in wd0b, swap on wd0e.
  I had to have a kernel with that hardcoded (see above) since otherwise
  the kernel won't find the primary partition and prompt you to enter
  it.  However, the USB keyboard would not be working yet, so you
  couldn't enter it.

- after installation, reboot back into OpenFirmware
- enter the following command to enable auto-booting:

  setenv boot-device hd:,\ofwboot.xcf
  setenv boot-file netbsd
  setenv boot-command ." hello" cr " screen" output boot

I think that's it.  I believe the problem is that currently the kernel
is on the HFS+ partition, so I have to figure out how to mount that
under NetBSD so I can update the kernel.

As I said, I'm sure there are other, better ways to do this, but this
worked for me.  If you have better suggestions, let me know.

-Jan

--=20
I'm not even supposed to be here today!

--nFreZHaLTZJo0R7j