Subject: Re: Sharing an Apple keyboard
To: None <port-macppc@NetBSD.org>
From: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.org.uk>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/10/2006 21:41:21
In article <6b2d1e190601101202s37fdef7cgcd52b3ff01c50c09@mail.gmail.com>,
	"Julio M. Merino Vidal" <jmmv84@gmail.com> writes:
> However, I want to avoid having two keyboards on my desktop,
> so sharing it across the iBook and the PC could be nice (thus
> replacing the PS/2 keyboards).  I'll need a KVM too (or whatever
> lets me switch an USB connection).

Don't buy a Belkin KVM switch for USB keyboards. I've bought two recently
and I've got lots of trouble with them.

> So, here go the simple questions:
> - Will NetBSD/i386 behave correctly with such a keyboard?

Yes, my US layout standard white Apple keyboard works fine with NetBSD-i386.

>   I'm specially concerned about Alt, the non-English AltGr and

AltGr is just a different label for they right Alt key. And the Apple
keyboard has two Alt keys.

>   the Windows key.

I've not tried out Windows (and I cannot at the moment). My guess is however
that the two Apple keys on the Apple keyboard will be behave like the
Windows keys.

> - Will NetBSD recognize the keyboard properly if it's plugged
>   after booting without one?

Yes, no problem.

>   What if I do multiple switches while running?

No problem, hot plugging works fine.

> Any better suggestion? :-)

Older Belkin KVM switches (which work fine) present a PS/2 keyboard either
as PS/2 or USB keyboard to the computer. The advantage of that setup is that
the USB HID devices presented by such a KVM switch doesn't go away when you
switch to another computer.

	Kind regards

--
Matthias Scheler                                  http://scheler.de/~matthias/