Subject: Sharing an Apple keyboard
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/10/2006 21:02:24
Hi all,

I'm not sure this is the correct mailing list to ask this, but it
is something between Apple hardware and NetBSD/i386
machines, so you may be a better audience ;-)

The thing is that I'd like to use my iBook in clamshell mode,
so I need to buy an USB keyboard (the one I have attached to
the PC is PS/2)... yes, the Apple one ;)

However, I want to avoid having two keyboards on my desktop,
so sharing it across the iBook and the PC could be nice (thus
replacing the PS/2 keyboards).  I'll need a KVM too (or whatever
lets me switch an USB connection).

So, here go the simple questions:
- Will NetBSD/i386 behave correctly with such a keyboard?
  I'm specially concerned about Alt, the non-English AltGr and
  the Windows key.  How could they be mapped?
- Will NetBSD recognize the keyboard properly if it's plugged
  after booting without one?  What if I do multiple switches while
  running?  (I know, may sound stupid, but I've never had an
  USB keyboard.)

Any better suggestion? :-)

Thanks,

--