Subject: Re: NetBSD 3.0 on Powermac 9500
To: Kjell Konis <konis@stats.ox.ac.uk>
From: Bruce O'Neel <edoneel@sdf.lonestar.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/02/2006 19:31:14
Hi,
On Mon, Jan 02, 2006 at 10:57:28AM -0800, Kjell Konis wrote:

> When the kernel is compiling, "-Wa,-maltivec" is always among the C
> flags.  What does that comma mean?  Is it just for warnings or is it
> actually including Altivec support?

-Wa, passes options to the assembler.  I poked but didn't find out
what -maltivec allows for assembler options beyond "Generate code for
processors with AltiVec instructions."

> Also, I have an ABD AppleDesign keyboard.  It works fine under
> Xmacppc but several of the keys (notably backspace, delete, and the
> up, right and left arrow keys) don't work under XFree86.  Has anyone
> gotten one of these to work XFree86?

If you start xev and move the cursor into the window, what does
typing those keys do?  If key are recognized you can use xmodmap to
enable those keys.

I use

keycode 74 = Pointer_EnableKeys
keycode 76 = Pointer_Button1
keycode 95 = Pointer_Button2
keycode 96 = Pointer_Button3

to make turn on and off the use of f10, f11, and f12 as the left,
middle, and right mouse buttons.

Those magic numbers come from the output from xev

KeyRelease event, serial 27, synthetic NO, window 0x1000001,
    root 0x40, subw 0x1000002, time 13031202, (33,26), root:(214,193),
    state 0x0, keycode 73 (keysym 0xffc4, F7), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 0 bytes:

In this case I pused teh f7 key.

cheers

bruce