Subject: Re: USB to RS232 adapter support
To: Timm Wetzel <twetzel@gwdg.de>
From: dixie <dixieml@imap.cc>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/30/2005 00:11:15
Timm Wetzel wrote:

>dixie <dixieml <at> imap.cc> writes:
>

>>Hi list, before buying one I'd like to know if USB to RS232 adapter are
>>supported by NetBSD/macppc :)
>>

>Some chipsets are supported, but weren't added to the macppc configs.
>
>I got a Prolific-based adapter to work by adding the relevant lines from the
>i386 GENERIC:
>
>uplcom* at uhub? port ?         # I/O DATA USB-RSAQ2 serial adapter
>ucom*   at uplcom? portno ?
>
>I vaguely remember that I also had to make some small modifications to
>files.macppc/majors.macppc/MAKEDEV, but it seems that this isn't necessary for
>-current.
>
>You might want to file a PR about the outdated macppc config files.
>
>Timm

As usual a more deep look at the GENERIC conf file reveals this line:

ucycom* at uhidev? reportid ?                         # USB serial adpater

Thank you all anyway for the hints :)
Is it really an out-to-date problem or these lines are intentionally
left out from the GENERIC?

Best regards

--
	dixie