Subject: Re: Cannot boot netbsd-3.0 on my powerbook 12'
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: William Duke <wduke@cogeco.ca>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/28/2005 20:15:47
> From: Reading Dept. <books@customvisualdesigns.com>
> Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 13:43:22 -0800
> To: <port-macppc@netbsd.org> <port-macppc@netbsd.org> <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
> Subject: Re: Cannot boot netbsd-3.0 on my powerbook 12'
>

> On Dec 28, 2005, at 10:13 AM, William Duke wrote:
>> My opinion:
>>
>> If you want to run NetBSD don't buy new Apple hardware!   New Apple
>> hardware
>> is not best suited for running NetBSD -- or Linux!
>>
>> If you're sourcing new hardware for OSS, get i386!
>>
>> If you have old MacPPC hardware laying around and want to use NetBSD
>> -- Go
>> for it; you've nothing to lose.
>>
>> If you're looking for old hardware to try an Open Source OS -- MacPPC
>> isn't
>> the best choice.
>>
>> If you want all of the bells and whistles associated with "personal
>> use"
>> computers, get an i386.
>>
>> If you want stability and a real unix experience, get a workstation.
>> Like
>> an SGI or a Sun.
>
> What constitutes old?  I have a powermac 8500 running NetBSD 2.0.  It's
> obviously an old machine, and I wanted to experiment with it rather
> than toss it out.  I also happen to have a rev. A iMac.  I'm planning
> to get some memory for  it in the near future, and then was thinking of
> installing NetBSD.  Would a linux distro be a better choice?
>

> Erik

I meant that I wouldn't go out and buy a brand new PowerMac just to run
NetBSD.  If I were intent on acquiring new hardware for NetBSD, I'd get an
Intel box.   Old Macs, by my definition, is any Macintosh computer that is
not currently seeing active use.   It doesn't matter if it's a Mac that's
one year old or ten years old.  If it's not being actively used, it's old
and is a candidate for NetBSD.

What I meant, was that if you didn't already have the hardware to run
NetBSD, and you were looking to acquire hardware for NetBSD, then the MacPPC
is not the best choice.   If you're buying brand new Mac hardware, I can't
see why you'd abandon OS X for NetBSD when OS X is built on a variant of
BSD.

If you already have MacPPC hardware, then you have nothing to lose by
installing NetBSD on it, right?  I mean, you already have the hardware and
the software is a free download.  Nothing lost, right?

Just out of curiousity, is your last name Bloodaxe? ;)