Subject: Re: Cannot boot netbsd-3.0 on my powerbook 12'
To: dixie <dixieml@imap.cc>
From: William Duke <wduke@cogeco.ca>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/28/2005 13:13:41
> From: dixie <dixieml@imap.cc>
> Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 13:21:58 +0100
> To: William Duke <wduke@cogeco.ca>
> Cc: Dave Huang <khym@azeotrope.org>, port-macppc@netbsd.org
> Subject: Re: Cannot boot netbsd-3.0 on my powerbook 12'

> You got it Dave :)
>
> William: I'm aware of MIPS and they fascinate me, I was about to buy an O2
> some days ago but I abandoned the  pourpose due to the budget, same for
> a SS10 :|
>
> _Imho_ the point is that other ports such i386 are more addressed by
> NetBSD's developers than macppc currently is.
> More effort on development guarantees more stability, performances, hw
> support
> and features.
> Why linux runs so smoothly on [i|Power]Books and macppc in general?
> Imho this is due only to the big number of developers involved, that
> increased the
> development speed. (and the quality? Who cares about the quality? ;)
>
> I would be very glad to contribute to NetBSD/macppc one day, let me
> reach a decent
> level of preparation :)
>
> --

Obviously, the i386 port gets more attention from developers -- that's just
simple math in action.   I've heard people in this group say that Apple
doesn't provide much information about their hardware -- consequently, it's
dificult to use the hardware.

Actually, my comments on MIPS were intended for someone else -- the point
was that MIPS was better off for being cast asunder by SGI...  You might
understand what I'm talking about -- you might not!  Whether or not you
understand will determine whether or not you care.  If you don't understand,
you weren't meant to.  Nuff said!

My opinion:

If you want to run NetBSD don't buy new Apple hardware!   New Apple hardware
is not best suited for running NetBSD -- or Linux!

If you're sourcing new hardware for OSS, get i386!

If you have old MacPPC hardware laying around and want to use NetBSD -- Go
for it; you've nothing to lose.

If you're looking for old hardware to try an Open Source OS -- MacPPC isn't
the best choice.

If you want all of the bells and whistles associated with "personal use"
computers, get an i386.

If you want stability and a real unix experience, get a workstation.  Like
an SGI or a Sun.