Subject: Re: Cannot boot netbsd-3.0 on my powerbook 12'
To: dixie <dixieml@imap.cc>
From: William Duke <wduke@cogeco.ca>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/27/2005 18:56:55
> From: dixie <dixieml@imap.cc>
> Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 22:55:12 +0100
> To: William Duke <wduke@cogeco.ca>
> Cc: Olivier MATZ <zer0@droids-corp.org>, port-macppc@netbsd.org
> Subject: Re: Cannot boot netbsd-3.0 on my powerbook 12'
>
> i386 was not built to run Unix (why was built i386 anyway?) but
> NetBSD/i386 boots up and supports almost everithing you can face
> on daily/buisness use.
>

> William Duke wrote:
>
>> That's funny!  I don't even bother with NetBSD on my MacPPC machines cuz
>> it's a waste of time.   I did, however, install NetBSD 3.0 on my Indy
>> R5000SC.  Want a breakdown of the total install process?   Here it is:
>>
>> Login to Linux on my PowerMac 7200/90 and FTP to a NetBSD FTP site.
>> Download the install kernel to the /tftpboot folder and disconnect.
>>
>> Press the power button on my Indy...
>>
>> After the Indy completes the startup diagnostics, Press {Esc} to enter the
>> PROM Monitor.
>>
>> At the prompt type:     bootp():/netbsd
>>
>> That's it!!!
>>
>> The Indy will then boot the NetBSD install kernel from my 7200 and start
>> sysinst...  I then tell sysinst to install the NetBSD binaries from the FTP
>> site... And I wait about 30 to 45 minutes.
>>
>> After about 30 to 45 minutes, I reboot the Indy and it boots a full NetBSD
>> installation from the hard drive all on its own!
>>
>> That, dear friend, is what it's like to have a computer that is built for
>> running UNIX.  :P

I don't understand what you're talking about dixie.  The Indy is not a
WinTel box and it does not use an Intel processor.  The Indy was built by
Silicon Graphics, Inc., and uses a MIPS processor.   MIPS Technologies,
Inc., manufacture's processors like the R5000, R10000, R12000, etc., that
were found in older SGI boxes.  All SGI machines were built to run an
operating system called IRIX, which is their proprietary variant of Unix.

Today, MIPS Technologies, Inc., manufactures processors that are commonly
found in Cisco routers, Motorola Set-Top boxes for digital cable and
satellite, video game consoles like the Sony Playstation Portable, etcetera.

Anyway, since SGI machines like the Indy were built to run IRIX, which is a
derivative of Unix, SGI machines are very easy to install Unix operating
systems on.  Netbooting these machines is a breeze and they generally are
built to specifications more conducive to running an operating system like
IRIX, Linux, or NetBSD.

The problem is that SGI (Silicon Graphics, Inc.) kind of gives hobbyists and
and low-key users the cold shoulder.  They're not very receptive to folks
that are not placing orders of $100,000 or more.  This is probably one of
the reasons that they're in such rough shape today.  Not the only reason,
mind you -- but definitely one of the reasons.  Ever hear the adage:  The
toes you step on today could be the ass you kiss tomorrow?   Well, SGI has
been arrogantly iqnoring hobbyists and such for a long time...  Probably
some of these hobbyists eventually became IT purchasing agents that bought
"anything but SGI."

Anyway, this is a MacPPC group and we better get back on topic.