Subject: XFree86 and clamshell ibook keyboard
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Bruce O'Neel <edoneel@sdf.lonestar.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/22/2005 12:33:16
Hi,

I found out last night, much to my dismay, that firefox 1.5 does NOT
display on a 8 bit display.  So, out goes my much loved Xmacppc and
in comes XFree86.  Alas the ati driver didn't seem to think that
it could drive my chip, at least with NetBSD 2.0.2.  So the planned
upgrade to current happend sooner rather than later.  Now the ati driver
is content and I have lovely 24 bit color at 800x600.  Very nice.

Oddly enough though the keyboard isn't quite right.  Only the down arrow
sends something recognized as down arrow.  The up arror, for example, sends
an '='.  A bit of googling indicated that

Option	"XkbKeycodes"	"macintosh"

might be the answer, but, um no.  This reduced the keybord to an odd mapping
where the keys sent didn't correspond the the printed keycaps.

Also suggested was:

Option	"XkbKeycodes"	"ibook"

but that wasn't quite correct either.

What might the option be to set the keyboard?  Technically it's an
ISO/German keyboard (ie y an z swapped) but I am happy if it's set
to a US keyboard.

Thanks in advance!

cheers

bruce