Subject: Re: Console cable
To: Donald Lee <MacPPC1@caution.icompute.com>
From: Hammond, Robin-David%KB3IEN <muaddib@databit7.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/11/2005 00:24:10
indeed the netbsd support of the mac console is very shakey.

Infact this is totaly unusable for any kind of networking, it is a decent
emergency serial console only. For any reoutine use, i strongly recomend
using PCI serial cards that are listed on the supported hardware page. I
have been using such beasties reliably for some time for normal logins,
AX.25 and PPP sessions.

Once the buffer capacity is exceeded on the mobo's serial devices the
devices tend to lock until 'syncing disks' is displayed in a shutdown.
the kernel is not otherwise affected. they dont seem to crash to box, only
lock you out...

  On Sat, 10 Dec
2005, Donald Lee wrote:

> Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 12:17:53 -0600
> From: Donald Lee <MacPPC1@caution.icompute.com>
> To: port-macppc@NetBSD.org, James Taylor <logik@westnet.com.au>
> Subject: Re: Console cable
>
> I counsel caution.  MacPPC serial has historically been less than
> completely reliable.  It has been "good enough" for console, but
> that's about it, and as far as I can tell, not reliable for that.
>
> I'm hoping that the improvements in 2.1/3.0 help.
>
> -dgl-
>
>> Ok folks, I have just built this cable:
>>
>> http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/Hardware/Misc/serial.html
>>
>> 		Modem MiniDIN8 to DB25 (Macintosh, non-null modem)
>> 		Note that RxD+ is shorted to ground, and that TxD+ and GPi
>> are floating. You should have the short as close to the DB25 as possible,
>> instead of near the MiniDIN8. If possible have the RxD+ and RxD- as a
>> twisted pair.
>> 		MiniDIN8           DB25
>> 		--------          ----
>> 		1 HSKo ----------- 4 RTS
>> 		2 HSKi ----------- 5 CTS
>> 		3 TxD- ----------- 2 TxD
>> 		5 RxD- ----------- 3 RxD
>> 		4 GND  ---+
>> 		          +------- 7 GND
>> 		8 RxD+ ---+
>> 		6 TxD+ ---x
>> 		7 GPi  ---x
>>
>> What on earth is going on?
>>
>> I've tested it on both printer and modem ports on the mac, Ive had the pc
>> set to 38400 8N1, 9600 8N1 - tried it on two different
>> Pc's - and nothing!
>>
>> What am I doing wrong people?
>>
>> James

  Microsoft: Where do you want to go tomorrow?
  Linux: Where do you want to go today?
  BSD: Are you guys coming, or what?

Robin-David Hammond	KB3IEN
 	www.aresnyc.org.