Subject: Re: Console cable
To: James Taylor <logik@gateway.net.au>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/09/2005 14:08:32
--wac7ysb48OaltWcw

On Fri, Dec 09, 2005 at 06:13:45AM +0800, James Taylor wrote:
> Hi there,
>=20
> Can someone give me a working pinout (MiniDIN8 to DB9 Serial) to suit
> console on a mac? I'm trying to
>=20
> Load netbsd on my mac and console via pc.

Get a Mac modem cable and then get a laplink cable for PC.

> I've tried a null modem cable, straight thru modem cable with and without
> dtr and im out of ideas, the screen
>=20
> Turns black indicating ive put it into openfirmware mode - but then nothi=
ng!

Do you have the right baud rate selected?

Also, set the PC's terminal emulator to "local" mode. For a real modem,=20
the open() rotuine waits for Carrier Detect. But for what you want to do,=
=20
CD may never get asserted.

Take care,

Bill