Subject: Re: Console cable
To: James Taylor <logik@gateway.net.au>
From: Hammond, Robin-David%KB3IEN <muaddib@databit7.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/09/2005 18:45:39
those are the correct cables, beware the mac mini-DIN8 isnt the sun
MiniDin8

http://freespace.virgin.net/matt.waite/resource/io/mac8.htm

for low (length*baudrate) cables no line drivers are needed. (hundreds of
meters or megabits may be obtained with good cat5e shielded).

verify ttya/ttyb settings on the mac. are you in the right port?

All else fails you might want a Xmas-tree in there. Radioshacks/Tandy
Electronics in noo york city have been selling them cheap as of late. (i
dont think its a seasonal thing ;)

On Fri, 9 Dec 2005, James Taylor wrote:

> Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2005 06:13:45 +0800
> From: James Taylor <logik@gateway.net.au>
> To: port-macppc@NetBSD.org
> Subject: Console cable
>
> Hi there,
>

> Can someone give me a working pinout (MiniDIN8 to DB9 Serial) to suit
> console on a mac? I'm trying to
>
> Load netbsd on my mac and console via pc.
>

> I've tried a null modem cable, straight thru modem cable with and without
> dtr and im out of ideas, the screen
>
> Turns black indicating ive put it into openfirmware mode - but then nothing!
>

> James.

  Microsoft: Where do you want to go tomorrow?
  Linux: Where do you want to go today?
  BSD: Are you guys coming, or what?

Robin-David Hammond	KB3IEN
 	www.aresnyc.org.