Subject: Re: Console cable
To: James Taylor , <port-macppc@NetBSD.org>
From: iMac <wduke@cogeco.ca>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/09/2005 09:36:28

--MS_Mac_OE_3216965788_3525464_MIME_Part

on 12/8/05 5:13 PM, James Taylor at logik@gateway.net.au wrote:

Hi there,=20

=20

Can someone give me a working pinout (MiniDIN8 to DB9 Serial) to suit
console on a mac? I=B9m trying to

Load netbsd on my mac and console via pc.

I=B9ve tried a null modem cable, straight thru modem cable with and without
dtr and im out of ideas, the screen

Turns black indicating ive put it into openfirmware mode =AD but then nothing=
!

Well, first off, you should probably know that a straight-thru serial cable
is *not* a null-modem cable.   A null-modem cable has the rx and tx lines
crossed.  =20

I've always used a straight-thru serial cable for getting console on my Mac=
without incident.  Although, configuring the terminal software can be a bit
of a pain sometimes.  I usually try 9600 bps, 8 data bits, no parity, and
one stop bit on my first attempt.   If I get nothing, or if I get nothing
but gibberish, I'll bump the speed up to 38k and work my way down.

Using a Mac as serial console for an SGI Indy, I sometimes have to hit the
{Enter} key a few times at 9600 8N1 just to clear the ports and establish
communication.   Of course, hardware handshaking has to be turned off.

Good luck.

--MS_Mac_OE_3216965788_3525464_MIME_Part

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Re: Console cable</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
on 12/8/05 5:13 PM, James Taylor at logik@gateway.net.au wrote:<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">Hi there,</FONT> <BR>
<BR>
<FONT FACE=3D"Arial"> <BR>
</FONT><BR>
<FONT FACE=3D"Arial">Can someone give me a working pinout (MiniDIN8 to DB9 Se=
rial) to suit console on a mac? I=B9m trying to</FONT> <BR>
<BR>
<FONT FACE=3D"Arial">Load netbsd on my mac and console via pc.</FONT> <BR>
<BR>
<FONT FACE=3D"Arial">I=B9ve tried a null modem cable, straight thru modem cable=
 with and without dtr and im out of ideas, the screen</FONT> <BR>
<BR>
<FONT FACE=3D"Arial">Turns black indicating ive put it into openfirmware mode=
 =AD but then nothing!</FONT> <BR>
<BR>
<BR>
Well, first off, you should probably know that a straight-thru serial cable=
 is *not* a null-modem cable. &nbsp;&nbsp;A null-modem cable has the rx and =
tx lines crossed. &nbsp;&nbsp;<BR>
<BR>
I've always used a straight-thru serial cable for getting console on my Mac=
s without incident. &nbsp;Although, configuring the terminal software can be=
 a bit of a pain sometimes. &nbsp;I usually try 9600 bps, 8 data bits, no pa=
rity, and one stop bit on my first attempt. &nbsp;&nbsp;If I get nothing, or=
 if I get nothing but gibberish, I'll bump the speed up to 38k and work my w=
ay down. &nbsp;&nbsp;<BR>
<BR>
Using a Mac as serial console for an SGI Indy, I sometimes have to hit the =
{Enter} key a few times at 9600 8N1 just to clear the ports and establish co=
mmunication. &nbsp;&nbsp;Of course, hardware handshaking has to be turned of=
f.<BR>
<BR>
Good luck.<BR>
<BR>
</BLOCKQUOTE>
</BODY>
</HTML>

--MS_Mac_OE_3216965788_3525464_MIME_Part--