Subject: Re: iBook P1 boot device?
To: Vieri Verze <vieri.v@gmail.com>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/05/2005 09:16:46
On 12/5/05, Vieri Verze <vieri.v@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't understand why bsd kernel doesn't have an hfs module loaded at
> install-time,

Because there is no such module.  NetBSD doesn't have native HFS
support yet.  Thanks to the SoC program, there is now a preliminary
driver, but I'm not aware of its status.

> even hformat is unavailable. So it's quite unusefull the
> hftools advice in the NetBSD guide! :-( Someone could tell me this?
> :-)

I don't remember what the guide says.  But I was able to install NetBSD
on my iBook without any other system.  First, I started the installation,
used pdisk to create a little partition for ofwboot and several ones for
NetBSD.  Then, I did a manual installation (w/o sysinst, IIRC), rebooted
and entered OpenFirmware.  From there, I told it to use ofwboot.xcf from
a CD I had previously written but using the hard disk as the boot partition=