Subject: PowerComputing PowerBase
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: A. Khattri <ajai@bway.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/17/2005 16:39:45
While this is not my first NetBSD install, its my first on a PPC box.

I have an old Power Computing PowerBase 180.

I used BootVariables to set the input device to "kbd" and output device to
"/bandit/ATY,mach64_3D_ppc".

After a reboot I get a blank screen so Im assuming its using a serial
console.

Now, here's the confusing part. This machine has both ADB and PS2 keyboard
connectors but none of them work (I thought if the video doesn't work then
at least I could type "BOOT" or "BYE" on the keyboard and reboot into
MacOS no?). It also has two output connectors (VGA and old school 15pin
Mac) - Im not sure if both of these connectors are being driven by the
onboard video or not? Assuming I can wire up a serial console cable, what
can I set the input and output device variables so I can use the onboard
VGA video and PS2 keyboard?

Any wiring diagrams for connecting a mini-DIN serial port to a DB9 serial
cable? I have an iBook too and have used a USB<->serial IOGear cable
successfully with Cobalt serial consoles...