Subject: Re: 7200 Netbsd / Linux
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/15/2005 20:06:05
Hello,

> I'm curious as to why the NetBSD community sticks to open firmware
> booting, when the open firmware imposes so many restructions on so
> many Macintosh models.   For example, my 7300/200 runs NetBSD just
> beautifully,  The machine, as it sits, is capable of much
> higher resolutions and much greatercolor depth.

This has nothing to do with booting via OpenFirmware.
And - what exactly do you suggest as alternative? Write different
firmware? Load the kernel from MacOS?
The limited support is Apples fault for not documenting their hardware,
not OpenFirmware's for defaulting to 640x480. If you can come up with
decent documentation about this specific chip I'm sure someone would
write a driver which supports all the high resolutions and colour depths
it's capable of.
Booting from MacOS would just shift the problem, we'd still have no
driver for the chip.

> I guess I'm just wondering what advantages OF affords the NetBSD Mac
> community?   Aside from the obvious shortened boot time and the
> unnecessary Mac OS partition, what real advantages are there to using
> OF?

You're welcome to write a MacOS kernel loader.

have fun
Michael