Subject: NetBSD usability
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Maicon Stihler <mrkung@gmail.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/04/2005 15:11:01
Hello,

Im considering installing NetBSD on my Ibook (a late 2004 model), but
I want to hear from people that already installed it.  I already used
NetBSD on i386 and found it very clean. What I want to know is if it
is ready to be used on an Ibook as a production system, what is its
limitations. Im aware that Airport extreme is not supported, and
sleep/susped isnt supported too. How is the support for things like
sound (I dont know if my Ibook use awacs or what), screen brightness,
multiple login terminals on cosole, X an desktop related applications,
function keys, and locale support (I need to be able to write with
special characters like cedilla, etc).

I want to put a BSD (NetBSD if possible) in place of MacOS X, but I
need to be sure that I will be able to do most things like running an
office suite, browsing the web, playing mp3/dvds, etc.

Best Regards,
Maicon Stihler

ps. sorry if this list is not the right to place to ask this question,
in case this list is not adequate for such simple questions I would be
pleased if someone points me the right one :) once again, thanks