Subject: Driver for the trackpad on new PowerBooks (and iBooks?)
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Johan =?iso-8859-1?Q?Wall=E9n?= <johan.wallen+lists@hut.fi>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/28/2005 15:08:17
Hi,

here is a driver for the trackpad on new (post February 2005?)
PowerBooks (and iBooks?) that are not quite standard USB HID mice.
The driver is available from

  http://www.tcs.hut.fi/~johan/netbsd/macppc/pbms.c

(pbms as in PowerBook mouse). To add the driver to your kernel, copy
the file to sys/arch/macppc/dev/pbms.c and add

  device	pbms: wsmousedev
  attach	pbms at uhidbus
  file          arch/macppc/dev/pbms.c			pbms

to sys/arch/macppc/conf/macppc.files. Then add

  pbms* at uhidev? reportid ?
  wsmouse* at pbms*

to your kernel configuration.  The driver should work also with 1.6.x,
2.x and 3.0, but I have only tested it under -current.

So far, the driver has only been tested on my 15 inch PowerBook with
the trackpad product ID 0x020f, but some other 12, 15 and 17 inch
PowerBook trackpads should work too, but the parameters might be wrong
for these.

If you have some recent PowerBook/iBook that is not supported by ums,
you could try this driver.  If it does not match your device, there is
a comment in the source explaining how to add support for other
devices using the same protocol.  Basically, you just have to add an
entry with a few parameters to a table.

Bug reports, parameter values for other trackpads, and other feedback
is welcome.

-- Johan