Subject: Re: gem (ERI/GEM/GMAC Ethernet device driver) has problems on macppc -current
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org, port-macppc@NetBSD.org>
From: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.de>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/19/2005 00:37:44
In article <435551CA.7000500@riscworks.net>,
	Timo Schoeler <timo.schoeler@riscworks.net> writes:
> Oct 18 13:28:33 ubiytsa /netbsd: gem0: discarding oversize frame (len=13364)
> Oct 18 13:28:33 ubiytsa /netbsd: gem0: receive error: CRC error

I've seen a similar error with NetBSD 3.0_BETA uniprocessor kernel on a
Powermac G4 a few weeks ago. But it only happend infrequently on a not
trustworthy network (multi level switched ethernet with more that a
thousand of hosts on it). I've never seen this on the same machine
while it was connected to my home network.

> the machine is connected to a 10/100 hub ...

What about the cable?

> ... which makes no trouble to any of the other six connected
> machines/devices.

Do you use hardware checksumo offload? Does the driver support the
correct mode (100MBit half-duplex)?

	Kind regards

--
Matthias Scheler                                  http://scheler.de/~matthias/