Subject: Re: smaller case
To: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
From: John Klos <john@ziaspace.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/14/2005 13:44:40
>> I was wondering if someone could tell me where I could get a smaller
>> case for a Blue & White G3? I really need something that is rack
>> mountable and I have to have this server at the colo within about 2
>> weeks. With all the problems that I have been having, I am not sure
>> if that will be possible.
>
> Isn't the mainboard and PSU more or less ATX conform? I've never seen a
> blue/white G3 but the G4s which use more or less the same case
> definitely are.

The blue and white G3 can be connected directly to an ATX power supply
provided the -5 volt wire from the ATX is cut (else it'd be shorted to
ground). No other modifications are necessary, although colocated servers
which go onto remote reboot switches are better to have hard power, in
which case the green wire from the ATX gets cut and connected to a ground
wire.

John