Subject: Re: Illegal instruction (core dumped)
To: John Klos <john@ziaspace.com>
From: admin@agnus.datazap.net <admin@agnus.datazap.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/14/2005 11:14:12
Hi,
On Thu, 13 Oct 2005, John Klos wrote:
>> When I tried building the source tree it doesn't work and this is what I
>> get:
>
> Does the system work, or does everything now dump core? Is this the blue &
> white G3 you've been talking about? It's usually good to say a little about
> the background of the machine you're working on in case it's CPU related
> (which I doubt, because I'm guessing this is a G3).

I am really sorry that I didn't include more information.

Yes, this is the G3 blue & white. I have 1 gig of ram and 2 250 gig ide
hard drives on the scsi chain using acards. My netboot server "Denise" (an
Amiga), has the binary and source for 1.6.2 so that is what I installed on
the G3.

The problem is that if I try to build something in the pkgsrc then it will
fail when it tries to install it. If I try to build the source tree then
it will build, but as soon as it installs it, then the server is rendered
useless and most shell commands fail with illegal instruction (core
dumped). But I can build a kernel and install it and it will work.

After doing some reading in the archive of this list. I found a very
similar problem, but from what I was able to read there, it is only
supposed to effect computers with either 603 or 604 cpus and was only a
problem with 1.6 after 1.6.2. To test this I installed 1.6.1 and I was
able to build the source tree without any problems and I also was able to
build tcsh and pico. But when I built a new kernel, and installed it. The
server would not boot off that new kernel. It says it could not find
/sbin/init. I did not try the new kernel after building the source tree
and I will be trying that in a little bit.

I have read where several people are having network performance issues
with NetBSD 2.0+ and I want to avoid any more problems. So, I am not
really sure what to do.

Thanks for your help,
Al