Subject: RE: netbsd 2.0 booting problem on PowerMacG4
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Eric Johnson <ejohnsonrainbow@hotmail.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/11/2005 23:01:53
Hi Everyone,

First, thank you in advance for any help and guidance that can be provided.

A few things to note:
1) Open Firmware 3
2) IDE hard drive

I've read the supported hardware models and am fine there according the
list.

The hard drive is empty and I think that might be my problem after combing
thru netbsd FAQ pages and the mailing list archives as I believe and am
looking for confirmation that I cannot boot NetBSD from a CD-R with Open
Firmware 3 because the CD-R is a slave device and not a master.

The problem I get is: cannot OPEN cd device

What I did was burned the supported image to CD-R, which does show up as ISO
9660. The bootloader, ofwboot.xcf, is on the CD-R in macppc\installaton with
the kernel in macppc/binary/kernel

I've tried booting the kernel with:
boot cd:,macppc/installation/ofwboot.xcf
macppc/binary/kernel/netbsd-GENERIC.gz

This is where I get the cannot find device error.

If I re-alias cd from its long name to say a workable devalias cd
cd/disk@0:1, and then run a dir command, it also cannot find the device.

Do I need to comb through partitioning and either get OS 9 or OS X installed
first and then make a HFS+ partition?

Sorry if I am rambling, I am writing this from home trying to recall most of
what I was trying to do today at work.

Thanks,
Eric