Subject: Re: Current state of NetBSD on iBook G4
To: dixie <dixieml@imap.cc>
From: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/09/2005 13:01:44
--Signature_Sun__9_Oct_2005_13_01_44_-0400_m2VuTzJnSOo27Amu

> > None. CPU sleep mode works mostly so it cools down when idle but
> > there's no support for changing clock speed ( although I have a
> > patch that implements it ) or any real power management. Hardware
> > monitors ( and therefore the interface to talk to the fan controller
> > ) will probably only work on your iBook with very recent -current.

> Whoa, I'm very interested in your patch to change the clock speed :)
> Could you send it to me so I can give it a try?

I posted it on this list on september 25th. Subject was 'iBook G4 CPU
speed control'
What it does is more or less the same as the performance vs. power
saving control in MacOS X - it toggles between full and low speed. Low
speed can be anything, on my 800MHz iBook G4 it's a little more than
600MHz. The power management unit probably allows finer speed control
but this is the easiest.
There's no automatic switching based on temperature or anything, this
will be the job of a yet-to-be-written(?) userland daemon which would
monitor sensors such as temperatures, CPU load and so on.
About suspend mode - I got a crude idea how it works from reading Darwin
sources but it's a pretty big task and I'm swamped in other work.
Besides that I doubt that all the macppc drivers support it anyway,
they'd have to be able to save and restore hardware state somewhere so
we can safely power them up and down.

have fun
Michael