Subject: Re: 2 Questions...
To: Greg Evans <greg.evans7@verizon.net>
From: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/05/2005 06:45:26
--Signature_Wed__5_Oct_2005_06_45_26_-0400_uf1SeKsacepDtskB

> Second part of my question is that since the screen is seemingly =20
> 'flakey' at best, I need to connect this machine to an external =20
> monitor. At present time, I am unable to get this working. X (or gdm)=20
> starts and my screen goes black. :(  I currently have 2 screens that =20
> I am working with.

Just a few thoughts:
On many PowerBooks the monitor port is actually independent from the
LCD. I'm not sure if that's the case with yours though. Our console
driver would attach itself to whatever it thinks the firmware uses,
XFree will probably be able to use both. Check your device tree, the
graphics controller's node may have two children identifying themselves
as displays.=20
And according to your earlier log XFree's Rage 128 driver tries to use
the vgahw module to save VGA textmode stuff, like fonts and such. This
is useless because we don't use VGA textmode and it's not going to work
because it tries to access the legacy VGA framebuffer which isn't in use
on any Mac - we always use a linear PCI aperture instead or
page-flipping through a 128kB window. The hack I suggested simply allows
XFree to map 128kB at offset 0xa0000 and redirects it to the beginning
of the framebuffer, so XFree is happy doing some bogus operations there,
the error message you got should go away. This should really be fixed in
XFree though.

About the external monitor port - did you try running 'X -configure' ?
XFree likely knows how to drive the external port and will probably
write a dual-head config file.

have fun
Michael