Subject: Re: new powerbook g4 and touchpad
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Johan =?iso-8859-1?Q?Wall=E9n?= <johan@tcs.hut.fi>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/04/2005 11:48:52
Antoine Reilles <Antoine.Reilles@loria.fr> writes:

> I have -current running on a recent powerbook g4 12'
> however, i can't get the touchpad to work.
>
> It looks like it is not supported by the kernel, i do have:
[...]

I had the same problem with a recent 15 inch powerbook (from May this
year) -- indeed the trackpad (or touchpad) is not supported, and it
seems like the trackpads on recent powerbooks are are quite different
from the supported trackpads.  See
http://johannes.sipsolutions.net/PowerBook/touchpad and
http://www.popies.net/atp/ . I have written a klugish version of that
driver that I have been using for a few months.  Unfortunately, it
does not work very well (sometimes there are random fluctuations
(probably due to heat) and sometimes no motion is detected), but if
there is interest, I could clean it up and post the driver.  (I just
noticed that there is a new version of the atp Linux driver -- maybe
they have figured out a better way to interpret the input generated by
the trackpad.  I will check, but do not hold your breath.)

-- Johan