Subject: Re: AppleTalk
To: Pangrazio, Robert Thomas (UMR-Student) <rtp6xc@umr.edu>
From: Dave Huang <khym@azeotrope.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 09/28/2005 18:35:39
On Wed, Sep 28, 2005 at 06:22:41PM -0500, Pangrazio, Robert Thomas (UMR-Student) wrote:
> I am including the previous post because I want to make sure people know
> where I am coming from. It was my understanding that Appletalk was not
> supported in NetBSD. Am I wrong? Specifically I am interested in
> appletalk over the serial lines.

AppleTalk as in the network protocol is supported (include "options
NETATALK" in your kernel config file). However, that's the software
side of things... On the hardware side, LocalTalk (AppleTalk running
over a RS-422 serial port at 230Kbps) is not supported. So in
practice, NetBSD only supports AppleTalk over Ethernet. If you want to
hook up a LocalTalk device, you'd have to use a Localtalk to Ethernet
bridge of some sort (e.g., Cayman GatorBox, Shiva FastPath, a Mac
running classic MacOS and Apple's router software that I forget the
name of, etc...)
INet: khym@azeotrope.org |  they raise a paw / the bat, the cat /
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 29 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++