Subject: Printer serial port on a Powermac 8500
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: CVD Groups <groups@customvisualdesigns.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 09/27/2005 21:47:29
Hello folks, me again.

I've gone and installed apsfilter and other relevant software packages
in the hopes of turning my new BSD system into a print server.  The
problem is that the available printer is an Epson Stylus 740 inkjet
with a cable for the serial printer port.

After searching for information on connecting a serial printer in
NetBSD, I came across this:

(link)
http://netbsd.org/Ports/macppc/faq.html#badserial

(quote)
I'm having troubles using my serial port!
That's because the built-in serial ports don't work very well.
Actually, they're really only good enough for console use (and even
then, they're sometimes flaky).  Until someone fixes this, don't assume
you can run a modem, ppp, sync your palm, or whatever. If you have any
experience with serial drivers and a willingness to help, please
contact port-macppc@NetBSD.org.

Is it possible that the printer won't work with a serial connection, or
have I looked in the wrong place?  I'd appreciate it if someone with
more experience could let me know.

Thanks in advance,
Erik