Subject: booting from a scsi hard drive
To: None <port-macppc@NetBSD.org>
From: admin@agnus.datazap.net <admin@agnus.datazap.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 09/27/2005 20:52:46
Hi,

I just did an install of 1.6.2 on a Blue & white G3. I was able to netboot
it without too many problems.

To make sure the disk was blank I did:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sd0c bs=8k

I then used pdisk to partition the drive and hformat to format the HFS
partition.

Next, I used newfs on the NetBSD partitions, and then mounted the root
partition on /mnt. Changed to /mnt and untared all the packages.

I then copied ofwboot.xcf to /mnt and did:
hmount /dev/sd0d
hcopy /mnt/ofwboot.xcf :

I then tried to reboot the computer, but I could not get it to boot off
the hard drive (I just keep getting errors). The B&W has an Adaptec 2940
SCSI card. I have checked the open firmware settings and they are set to:

boot-device: bridge/ADPT,2940U2B@3/@0:10,\\:tbxi hd:,\\:tbxi
boot-file: ofwboot.xcf

Any ideas?
Al