Subject: Re: lint issues with larger caches
To: None <John Klos>
From: Donald Lee <MacPPC1@caution.icompute.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 09/25/2005 21:22:08
Bummer.

For good or ill, that machine is in production, and I don't get much
opportunity to mess with it.  It's "backup" twin is waiting for 2.1 to
come out so I can see if that's better.

The production machine is still running the stock CPU, and if I
turn off powersave, it does a number of Bad Things, just like
before.  _That_ I've verified.

If I run the same SW on the machine with the 1.0 Ghz CPU, with powersave
disabled, it's similarly stable (OK, but not great).  Either CPU with
powersave off is not stable, but the faster CPU won't even boot
reliably, where the stock CPU will at least require a bit of load
to freeze up.

The production machine still
freezes up on me every few months to remind me that all is
not entirely right.  It does so when crunching web statistics at 2 AM.
(heavy disk and memory/swap traffic seems to trigger it)  My suspicion is
that it drops an interrupt in the ATA driver once in a while, but
that's just a guess.

-dgl-