Subject: Re: Firsthand experience with revision 1 B&W G3?
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: ian <netbsd@minimal.cx>
List: port-macppc
Date: 09/25/2005 11:58:21
On 24 Sep 2005, at 23:17, John Klos wrote:

> Hi,

Hi John,

> I have a revision 1 B&W G3 motherboard with the pre-402 version of
> the CMD 646 chip. Does anyone have firsthand experience running
> NetBSD on one of these systems with a modern drive?

Sort of - I have one of these but whilst testing it out with an
already installed 120GB drive running OS X 10.3 (8GB boot partition -
running fine in an iMac 333) I got *lots* of errors: gcc failed to
work, the system ran fine for 10 minutes then exim just stopped
accepting email, etc.  Putting it back in the iMac mostly sorted
things out (had to regress to an older exim binary as the one I had
been using was hosed) so for my money I'd never, ever attach anything
to that interface again.

I am using a Firmtek dual internal SATA card with a pair of 250GB WD
Raid Edition drives as a RAIDframe mirror under a fairly recent 3.0
BETA build and it's great.  The Firmtek cards have enough OF in them
that an nvalias or two at the ok prompt and I can now simply boot
from sata0 or sata1, which is great for messing around.

HTH,
--
Ian Spray