Subject: Beige Powermac - Openfirmware shutdown
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: CVD Groups <groups@customvisualdesigns.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 09/24/2005 20:25:49
Hi all,

I'm a NetBSD newbie (*nix newbie, actually), and just recently managed
to install NetBSD on an old Powermac 8500.  I had some questions
regarding the open firmware (v 1.0.5) manipulation on old systems like
this.

First of all, I noticed that I was able to work with the monitor and
keyboard when first installing NetBSD, but afterwards, could only work
with open firmware via a serial connection.  This doesn't actually
bother me as I just want the box itself and don't want the monitor or
keyboard.  That said, however, if this is an indication of some deeper
trouble, I'd like to know.

Secondly, whenever I execute the halt or shutdown -h now commands, I
notice that NetBSD shuts down by exiting to open firmware again instead
of an actual powering down.  Also, I can't get open firmware itself to
shut down (the shut-down command, I believe).  Instead I just lose the
serial connection.  What I do basically is just hit the power button
and turn the machine off.  Still, if there is a way to avoid this, I'd
appreciate any help.

Much thanks,
Erik