Subject: Curious OF problem.
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Lionel Artom-Ginzburg <lionel@blank.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 09/22/2005 10:04:17
This is obviously a hardware problem, but I thought someone might
recognize it and tell me where to look.

Finally (after figuring out that the 2.0.2 ISO wasn't bootable), I
installed NetBSD 2.1RC3 onto an 8600/200.  Even got OF to recognize
the ATI Radeon 7000.  The problem is this:  I have a Newer Technology
G3/300 card, and since I do plan to do some stuff in X11 on this
machine, I decided to put it in.  When I do, OF no longer will boot
from my sd@0:0 partition, though it will boot from CD or floppy.
I've checked the RAM, and all of it is 60ns and tests ok.  I pulled
the cache card, per the manufacturer's FAQ, and that doesn't affect
anything.   I've adjusted the cache size to every ratio that the
software permits me to, and no go.  (The machine works fine in 9.1,
btw)  Does this sound like a SCSI termination problem?  Very
insidious bad RAM?  A timeout problem?  (OF takes about 5 or 6
seconds to tell me that SD@0:0 can't OPEN).  Any guesses?

thanks,

Lionel